||||| Monday, May 28, 2007
||||||| "Tokyo, Japan!"
I recently made a short trip to Tokyo (places I ate are just different areas of Tokyo) to see the city I've been wanting to see for around 7 years now. While there, I happened across some food.

The first night, I was in Roppongi, and a friend's friend brought us to a place known for its noodles. And giant bowls. Unnecessarily large bowls.

The noodles weren't anything too special, but they came in these bowls that were about 3 times the size of your head (or just the same size as Karen's head). The thing is that the noodles only filled about about 1/3 of the bowl, so the size of the bowl was just for novelty's sake...or something like it.

The contents.

We also had raw horse meat there, which was a little chewy, but I really enjoyed it. It was especially good with a little garlic and lime.
Tasted great.

And because I'm extremely immature, I laugh at this item every time.

The second night, we ate dinner in Shibuya at this restaurant that has a green onion theme. Everything we had that night had green onions, usually in excessive amount.

This particular dish was just different parts of a chicken (eg: gizzard, intestine, etc). The meatball-esque bit was my favorite. It was dipped in this raw egg sauce that created the perfect tangy-ness.

The second day, we were in Akatsuka (I think), and ate at a street vendor selling these. I forget what it is called, but I remember seeing it on Anthony Bourdain's food show once for his 'Asia Special.'

Basically the process is to put some batter, then pile on all sorts of vegetables and other goodness into piles like pictured. Then, pour more batter. After these finish cooking on the flat grill, they pile on this sweet, thick dark-looking paste all over and finish it off with an egg and pork on top.



The result is this:
I actually didn't particularly like it as it was too something. I couldn't really place the taste, but it was a little tangy, a little sweet, and just not suited to my tastes. Oliver, on the other hand, loved it and finished it in record time.

On our final night, we finally ate some sushi.

For some reason, I don't particularly remember much about the sushi. I'm not sure if it's because I was busy being sick, but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it. It was definitely high quality sushi and better than anything you find in the US.

So, Tokyo has lots of good food. Good, but expensive. Next time, I'd like to hit up Osaka. I hear the favorite past time in Osaka is eating. Sounds like my kind of place.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Justin || 2 Comments

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

hahaha jizake!!!!

June 5, 2007 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

you fool.

June 5, 2007 at 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home