||||| Thursday, August 30, 2007
||||||| "City Diner"
I went to City Diner, a 24 hour American-style diner, for lunch today with a co-worker. Having been there several times now, I decided to try something new, while I recommended a classic for my co-worker.

I don't remember the name of what I ordered, but it had the word "Tuna" in it proceeded by a word [that I don't know] that started with "A," and was also the priciest burger on the menu [which I obviously forgot to photograph]. Anyhow, the burger came and while it wasn't exactly large, it was stacked about six times as high as a normal burger. Most people would be a little intimidated, but I was undaunted, and quickly took my first bite (right after photographing).

"It" was every bit as disappointing as it appears. The taste was bland and the tuna tasted dry, and that's when I noticed these small crispy noodle things that I missed out on with my first bite, so I gave it another shot. These crispy noodle things gave the burger immediate texture and apparently were dipped in the main sauce for the burger, because they were like magic. What I thought would be a disappointing selection turned out to be quite a unique blend of soft, chewy, and crispy and this combination helped bring out the flavors in the sandwich almost in successive waves. Unfortunately, the overall burger was still a slight disappointment when combined with it being a pricier selection. 6/10. Above average.


The Count of Monte Cristo comes with three slices of bread, cheese, ham, topped with powdered sugar, and comes with a side of butter and jam. It seems like a strange combo, but it works. In fact, the first time I had it, it was sublime. Adding the butter and jam with the [essentially] sugar, ham and cheese sandwich formed a sweet, rich taste that combined beautifully with the melted cheese and the texture of the french toast-like bread. The ham added just the right punch while the sugar added that special bit to put it over the top.

Perhaps it was due to my hungry state the first time I stumbled upon this gem, but it's become a personal favorite and I recommend it confidently. It has never failed, and my co-worker also enjoyed it thoroughly. 8/10. Very solid choice.

City Diner has two locations in Shanghai, and is known for its 24 hour access, quality food, but crappy service. To watch the waiters is to watch a bit of chaos and confusion. Often laughable, but always frustrating. Nonetheless, it's a great place to try especially after the end of a late night. It's widely recognized as being similar to Moon River Diner, the number 1 rated diner in Shanghai.

Labels: , ,

posted by Justin || 1 Comments

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

The Count. It's actually three slices of French toasted bread. There's also turkey (besides the ham) and is it provolone? You're right, the strawberry jam that comes with it is a must. Best sandwich ever.

September 9, 2007 at 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home