||||| Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Restaurant week in Boston has rolled around again, and I have two excellent reservations I will be blogging about shortly, but the anticipation of deliciousness had me reflecting on my past culinary experiences here in The Hub.

Namely, I was thinking about the "Beef Sirloin Carpaccio with amarene cherries, horseradish, Roquefort, and rosemary grissini" that I had at Mooo and it was consuming my thoughts, so I had to conduct more research into the mystical elements that had come together to produce perfection.

The Wikipedia entry on Roquefort tells about the mold found in French caves and the blue veins that run through this crumbly sheep's milk cheese, and even though the idea of molding cheese still kind of grosses me out, I still found myself salivating. I blame this on the high glutamate / umami taste of Roquefort. By blame, I of course mean fantasize about. Actively.

To be honest, I don't know what it is about raw fish, oysters, and carpaccio that really gets me going, but Mooo did not disappoint. Even though this meal took place two months ago, it is still vivid in my mind...

Initially, you are taken aback because the beef is so thinly sliced, it almost dissolves on your tongue with a flavor I can't describe as anything other than raw... then you start chewing. The Roquefort starts melting immediately and all of a sudden, its a flavor... dare I say - eruption? Slightly tart amarene cherries bursting as you bite down, subtly sweet Roquefort that slowly transforms into a salty - then surprisingly smoky taste, grissini at first providing only crunch but then releasing its rosemary aromatics, the sharpness of the horseradish mixing with the tartness of lemon juice, and the unmistakable goodness that is quality olive oil underneath it all. This is a perfect bite - both in flavor, and in texture. After you swallow, a hint of it lingers on your lips, making you beg for more...

We will meet again, beef sirloin carpaccio. And you will melt in my mouth, again and take me to places I never thought anyone could.

Long sigh.

Until we meet again.... and we WILL meet again.

XO- Michelle.
posted by Michelle || 0 Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home